Thursday, July 22, 2010

REFLECTION...

I never thought that when I first left home to head to university that I was beginning a series of "adventures" that would pan out the way they have. Eight years ago in 2002, leaving Pencoed was the hardest thing I had ever done! My first adventure, starting a new life in High Wycombe, was challenging to say the least. The first length of time that I had spent away from my family who mean the absolute world to me meant emotionally I had started a rollercoaster ride. Three hard years studying Graphic Design and Advertising started challenging me in every way possible! Meeting some of my closest friends at university I began to build a close support network which has grown immensely over the years. Looking back, the ride flew by and I soon found myself not knowing exactly how I was going to apply the degree I earned myself to a job in the real world. At one point I even comtemplated heading back to Wales to study a PGCE with thoughts about becoming a school teacher. How different things could have been.


And so, in 2005, the next big adventure in my life began. My career. I remember being sat in the university library and taking the phone call to say that 1HQ (or Vibrandt as it was called when I joined) were interested in meeting me. I had no idea at the time what the agency did and I had never visited Windsor! Five years later I'm still working for 1HQ and living in an amazing flat in the centre of Windsor! I joined an agency who have since become my surrogate family. A fantastic team of people who are extremely dedicated to delivering amazing work and a team that I feel so proud to have been a part of. I have worked alongside some of the most talented people in the industry, who have inspired me and nurtured me into the designer and person that I am today. People who have not only been my work collegues but have become my closest friends. Two of which, Tom and Rachel, will also be a part of my next adventure!


Being given the opportunity to travel in 2008/2009 was probably when I started to "dream" about moving abroad and working in another country. Enjoying a mini-adventure to Bangkok, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore started me thinking about continuing my career in a completely new environment. So, I'm about to start the next chapter of my life...a relocation to a whole new country and culture. As I'm sat here writing this I have absolutely no idea what the next few years of my life are going to be like. But, I want all my family and friends to be a part of my journey. Explore. Dream. Discover. will hopefully keep everyone up to date on my new life in Singapore, as I settle into a new job and discover a new home 6879 miles away from my first!



No comments:

Post a Comment