Sunday, November 28, 2010

ENCHANTING ORCHARD ROAD...

It seems that Christmas in Singapore is going to be a more magical time than I first imagined. There has been a great build-up which started mid-November and even though the temperature doesn't quite fit the season, this week I was blown away by the effort that has been made on Orchard Road.

The Christmas light-up is in it's 25th year and simply is "enchanting" and I spent last Thursday evening wandering down the road taking in all the fairy lights, multi-coloured ornaments and huge Christmas trees up to 15 metres tall. I don't really now where to start and how to explain how spectacular it is, but I'll keep on the theme of chocolate! Ferrero Rocher chocolates are probably the most popular and versatile gift you can give or receive at Christmas. I'm sure mum and I have consumed a fair few over the years! This tree, made of Ferrero Rocher balls, stands proud on the corner of Orchard Road and Cairnhill Road. It's pretty impressive, shame they're not real edible chocolates. The certainly would be one hell of an Ambassador's reception!


My favourite shopping mall on Orchard Road is ION which has been described as the "centre of gravity" in the retail scene here. Over eight levels, four above ground and four below totally 66,000 square metres. It's an impressive building with an impressive celebration of Christmas to match! Right outside the entrance there are huge lit up musical instruments. The tree on the bottom left hand side is open for people to go inside. It is huge! And full of fairy lights, litearlly covered inside and out. So so pretty.


Tangs on the opposite side of the road have gone for a more modern approach. Giant, brightly coloured baubles and hundreds of fairy lights hanging around the whole outer of the store. 


I should have counted how many trees I saw on my walk from Orchard MRT to Somerset. I would say well over 20 and it's only a 10/15 minute walk! They really have made so much effort. It certainly put me in the Christmas mood and I spent a few hours wandering around the shops and even made a start on some Christmas shopping picking up my Christmas cards from one of my favourite shops Kikki.K. I can't quite believe that sat here writing this Christmas Day is only 26 days away! 








No comments:

Post a Comment