Tuesday, January 03, 2017

NEW YEAR...

Well to say I enjoyed 2016 would be an exaggeration. It wasn't the best year for me. There were some epic low lights. The dread "D" words. Divorce. Dengue. Death. The latter two I have already captured in previous posts. The first I'm not going to dwell on.

There were some very lovely highlights though. In February, not only did Glassick Brands become jkr (a very big career highlight for me!) but I was lucky enough to have a visit from my brother who really perked me up. We took ourselves off to Bali for some much needed rest and relaxation. In March/April I was lucky enough to visit my whole family in Wales, and witness our friends Katie and Chris getting married. Later in April I enjoyed another fantastic trip to Bali with the Lawrence clan, and whether or not it was a Bali mossie that gave me dengue (we'll never know!) it was still a very memorable trip!

During my recovery months I had great company in Danielle, who was a fantastic support for me after my parents left. Hopefully she enjoyed her time in Asia. We managed to pull off a family holiday to Dubai in September, which despite being extremely hot, was also extremely enjoyable. Not many people get to travel with work, especially to be taken away on holiday, so I was really pleased that our annual company trip in November took us to Phuket. Again, a very memorable trip. And I'm pleased to say the year has ended on a massive high. I have just spent the most amazing two weeks in the UK surrounded by the most wonderful people. I started my trip with a visit to my uncle John Williams. Not many people know that I loved with John and his partner Darren when I first graduated. I was welcomed back into their home and even though I had done the whole Christmas tree and trimmings in Singapore, it really didn't start to feel like Christmas until I was curled up on the sofa in front of the wood burning fire watching Strictly Come Dancing and eating home made lasagna. What a start to the Christmas festivities. 

I took a trip into London, meeting up with a collection of friends from all chapters of life. A really nice mix of university friends, work colleagues and of course a few of the Singapore lot! It was a great chance for me to meet Amanda's new boyfriend Matt and to catch up with Simon from university over a delicious roast lunch at The Wilmington. I highly recommend it! Just look at the size of that Yorkshire pudding! 

The Wilmington is located in Clerkenwell, London. For more information visit the website here http://www.wilmingtonclerkenwell.com
After a great start to the trip I was on the road and heading for Wales. Being at home with mum, dad and Chris is priceless. I literally love home time. We had a great Christmas day. Mum and I cooked up a feast whilst Chris and Dad enjoyed the beer and wine. We all had "elf" t-shirts and jumpers! Total cheese-fest but exactly what I needed to perk up the end of the year. 


If there is one thing that I wish I could have brought with me to Singapore (apart from my family of course) it would have been this group of girls...


I miss them immensely! They are the greatest bunch of girl friends anyone could wish for and they mean the world to me. Although there are a few missing from this scenario, we had a great catchup over coffee and literally talked the day away. Beth is now a mum of three, and I finally got to meet baby Imogen. I wanted to steal her! 

I knew I didn't really fancy staying in at home on New Years Eve and wanted to do something special to thank mum, dad and Chris for their never ending love and support, so I booked a cottage in the countryside for New Year. I've had some pretty special new years over the years, in various locations throughout Asia. But this year was one I will never forget. Our cottage in Cattistock was just perfect! Our first night was spent with our feet up in front of the fire. The weather as we arrived at the cottage was really foggy and mysterious.

"Cattistock is a village and civil parish in west Dorset, England, sited in the upper reaches of the Frome Valley, 8 miles (13 km) northwest of the county town Dorchester. The Dorset poet William Barnes called it "elbow-streeted Cattstock", a comment on the less-than-linear village street. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 509."


Church Cottage was booked through Mulberry Cottages. I think I randomly stumbled upon them whilst trying to locate a cottage in Dorset. I have always wanted to visit the Jurassic Coastline where Broadchurch was filmed! I highly recommend them if you are planning a retreat in the UK. The service was outstanding and the portfolio of properties is extremely vast. You can see more from them at their website https://www.mulberrycottages.com

New Years Eve morning, we took a drive to Weymouth to visit the Lawrence clan. Martin and Cline spent New Year in Australia, so we passed on some hugs from them both. It was a glorious day and we spent some time walking along the sea front, the quay and of course around the shops! Another piece of the British coastline ticked off! 


New Years Eve evening we were in for a treat! As a break from cooking for mum, I had arranged for Brown Goose Caterers to join us at the cottage and cook our NYE meal for us. One word. Outstanding. 
To read more about Brown Goose or to contact Rob (Chef) and his wife Polly visit their website here http://www.brown-goose.co.uk

TO BEGIN Cream of Wild Mushroom




TO START 
Smoked West Country Venison, Cranberry Chutney and Roquette Salad

MAIN
Sirloin of Dorset Beef, Sauté Potatoes, Confit Shallots and Red Wine Jus served with Roasted Heritage Beetroot and Carrot, Braised Red Cabbage, Sauté Broccoli and Green Beans

IN BETWEEN
Raspberry and Tarragon Sorbet with Limoncello Jelly

DESSERT
Yoghurt and Vanilla Panna Cotta with Poached Blueberries and Orange Salad

CHEESE COURSE
Dorset Blue Vinny, Somerset Brie, West Country Cheddar with Port Jelly and Grape Chutney

TO FINISH
Tea/Coffee and Petit Fours


Look at these guys. The best parents and best brother I could ever imagine! I'm determined to have a better year this year. The end of 2016 has set me up for a positive start and I hope this continues! I have so many things already in the diary. They mostly revolve around friends getting married. March will see me visit the UK again for Betsy and James' wedding in Taplow. I'm very honoured to be bridesmaid. The second wedding of the year will be in South Africa. Sarah and Aaron will tie the knot in Franschhoek, near Cape Town. And the third will be Martin and Cline's wedding in New York. Other trips include a birthday weekend away to Sydney to visit Stephanie, who I am sad to say will leave Singapore in April. And based on this Christmas, I will 100% be heading back to Wales for Christmas 2017!! Fun times ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment