Monday, April 16, 2012

FAMILY TIME...

I was so chuffed to have mum and dad visit for a second time. Although sad that its seemed time went by so fast whilst they were here. As they had seen a lot of the "tourist sights" last time round, this time they spent a lot of time relaxing and enjoying lovely dinners and drinks in the evenings with Joe and I. Below a couple of highlights from their trip. I really hope to see them here again soon (well maybe not too soon...2013 with a bit of luck!)


To welcome Mum and Dad back and to wish them (a late) Happy Mothers Day and (an early) Happy Fathers Day I treated them to Afternoon Tea at the Ritz Carlton. Delicious food and a fab catch up followed by sundowner cocktails at New Asia Bar. A great start to their trip!


The last time around we didn't manage to get around to tasting the famous Singaporean Chilli Crab. We enjoyed a fabulous meal at Red House on Robertson Quay. Our feast also included Black Bean Beef, vegetable rice, Cereal Prawns, Honey Roast Chicken and lots of squid! 


It's been over a year since I first visited the Arts Science Museum so we went along to visit the latest exhibitions. 

Titanic : We were able to step on board RMS Titanic for the first time in Asia and experience what it would have been like on the maiden voyage almost 100 years after it set sail in 1912. It was fantastic to see the ship's conception, construction, sailing day, life on board, the famous iceberg, the sinking, the discovery of the wreck, as well as the incredible stories of the crew and passengers. On entering you are given a replica boarding pass as towards the end of the exhibition you discover whether or not you were lucky enough to survive or not. Mum and I were both 1st Class passengers who made it off the ship in one of the lifeboats. (I was actually the wife of the richest man on board!) Dad on the other hand was not so lucky. Travelling 3rd class, he unfortunately did not survive. Oops! With authentic artifacts throughout and re-creations of the First and Third Class Cabins, the Grand Staircase, Boiler Room and other locations on the ship this exhibition was so much more engaging compared to the last time I visited the museum. I am really pleased I got to share the experience with my parents.

Andy Warhol : On the opposite end of the scale, the Warhol exhibition is an intense collection of the legendary artists artworks covering all of his artistic phases. With over 260 paintings, drawings, sculptures, film and video it was really interesting to see where he found his inspiration and how these lead to masterpieces like the iconic Campell's Soup Can (1961) and numerous iconic Self Portraits. I would highly recommend.  


Despite already seeing Wicked The Musical whilst Amanda was in town I knew that mum really wanted to see it. We spent the afternoon at Marina Bay Sands, cupcakes and tea at High Society followed by the show was a great way to spend part of the Easter Weekend. I absolutely love the show! And this time round there was a different actor playing the Wizard which gave the show another dynamic.


What better way to finish off the day, but with an all you can eat BBQ Buffet at the Hyatt with free flow alcohol! Another thing I would highly recommend to do in Singapore. The food is delicious and the setting (tables spread out next to one of the pools) is fabulous.


Easter Sunday was spent at Mum and Dad's hotel, the Grand Copthorne enjoying a free flow Brunch with plenty of Easter themed food. 

I'm always so sad to say goodbye to Mum and Dad when they leave me. There are so many times that I wish we were all closer together, but actually, when we're so far apart for the majority of time it just means that when we do see each other the time we spend together really feels like special quality time. I know have many more memories to add the amazing ones we created when they visited in 2011! I very much look forward to seeing them when I head home in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment