Thursday, October 18, 2012

TRY ANYTHING ONCE...


My first impression of China was most definitely via my taste buds after our delicious dinner on my first night. I have realised over the last week that China is obsessed with food! And that food plays a very big role in society and family life so (in the same way I did when I first arrived in Singapore) I have tried to keep an open mind about what I try and taste. After all, I am here not only to work, but to embrace the culture.

I often sit at my desk in work thinking “what shall I have for lunch today?” Today Lily had asked me to join her for lunch. I had jumped at the chance. What better way to learn more about the culture and cuisine than by joining a local who could a) read the menu and b) introduce me to foods that I have never even heard of before let alone seen! I found myself in an amazing restaurant situated in The Ding Xiang Garden. Originally built for the concubine of a Qing dynasty mandarin, it is not reserved for retired Communist Party cadres. The only way you can get to see the grounds are to eat in the restaurant. 


Lily orders a feast. Our table is literally covered in dishes. I am in for a culinary delight. The first dish to arrive “ducks tongue”. Yes, you read that right. The tongue of a duck. But not just one. About ten! I literally do not hold back and get stuck in straight away. I was sure if I thought about it for too long I’d be put off.

How would I describe a ducks tongue. Surprisingly nice. Approximately two inches in length, they look pretty insubstantial. But it’s flavor was intensely duck like. I can’t quite figure out if it’s the coating that is enhancing the flavor though. Chewy with a slightly fatty interior that kind of melts in the mouth. They have a bone that runs through the middle. Edible of course. I couldn’t help but wonder whilst eating them (yes I ate more than one!) if the tongue is what makes a duck quack. Apparently not, it aids in manipulating the food in the ducks mouth rather than producing the signature quack! Interesting! 


Chickens feet. I could only manage two! I wasn’t brave enough to literally munch through the bone. Again, the sauce pretty much disguises what you are eating and they were hot and spicy. Chickeny-tasting. Hard work to control with chopsticks but I kind of enjoyed the gelatinous flesh. Very similar to a chicken wing really, except much harder to put in your mouth knowing that is in fact a foot! 

Apart from those local delicacies the remainder of the food seemed pretty normal. Delicious vegetables. A pumpkin carved out and filled with multiple mushroom soup. Durian dim sum (although not a big fan) plenty of shrimp dim sum, rice cake, and sweet fruit cake (almost jelly like)...

What an experience that was. So grateful to Lily for taking me out and introducing me to these local dishes. All part of the China experience and most definitely a story to tell when I return to the UK in November. I do think that tomorrow I might have to seek out a sandwich for my lunch...just to maintain the balance between wacky and normal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment