Saturday, February 11, 2017

DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'...

Last night I got to experience Journey Live in Singapore. I've always been a big fan of the American Rock Band. It might have something to do with dad always playing their music when I was a youngster. Of course, they are best known for their 1980s anthem "Don't Stop Believin'" ... however, two of my all time favourites from the group are "Open Arms" and "Faithfully". 

The last time Journey were in Singapore was in March 2013. I'm not quite sure why I missed that one! As with most concerts here in Singapore, they aren't very well publicised which is a shame. This time round, they hit The Star Performing Arts Centre. A great venue for a great band! 



The bands lineup has quite famously changed several times since they originally formed back in 1973...ten years before I was even born! The current lineup includes Arnel Pineda on lead vocals, Neal Schon on guitars and backing vocals, Ross Valory on bass an backing vocals, Jonathan Cain on keyboards and backing vocals and Steve Smith on drums. 

They stunned me song after song with all of their greatest hits:

1. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
2. Be Good To Yourself
3. Only The Young
4. Guitar Solo
5. Stone In Love
6. Anyway You Want It
7. Lights
8. Piano Solo
9. Open Arms
10. Who's Crying Now
11. After The Fall
12. Chain Reaction
13. La Do Da
14. Drum Solo
15. Wheel In The Sky
16. Faithfully
17. Don't Stop Believing'
18. La Raza Del Sol
19. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

Arnel Pineda has so much energy! It's hard to believe he is 49 as he jumped around the stage with the energy of a 25 year old. His voice is incredible. As close to Steve Perry as you could possibly get. The hour and a half set also heroed the skills of Neal Schon, who dedicated quite a bit of time to some incredible guitar solos. At 62, he has been with Journey since the very beginning and has featured on every single one of Journey's 14 albums. What an achievement!

Another highlight for me was the drum solos from Steve Smith. These are some seriously talented musicians. So much so, that both Smith and Schon are to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame later on this year. 

These guys are legends! I don't think there were many people still sat in their seats when they started to blast out "Don't Stop Believin". This will always be one of my favourite tunes and I'm so pleased I go to experience it live! Come back soon Journey!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment