Tuesday, September 14, 2010

BANK HOLIDAY FUN...

My first week in Singapore turned out to be Bank Holiday week! A short working week. A long weekend! 
FRIDAY : I join Tom and Rachel after they have a long lie-in in an attempt to shake off they're jet-lag. We wonder through Little India, Singapore's answer to Delhi. The streets are crazy, with music pumping from speakers and the air permanently perfumed with incense, spices and jasmine garlands. Some of you will be glad to hear the weather isn't sunny all the time, despite it being 30 degrees, it's raining. We decide to head towards Chinatown to eat. There is so much to see as you wander along the streets here, every corner there is a new photo opportunity.




We finish off the night in a bar on Clarke Quay called Clinic. A unique concept the bar themed around the hospital with wheelchair-like seats and hospital bed-like sofas! Small tables shaped like paracetamol tablets where you drink from drips and the waiters and waitresses are dressed as doctors and nurses. Uber cool! The only thing not so cool are the prices. I'd heard alcohol was expensive before I left the UK so I wasn't too surprised when my Vodka Lemonade cost $18 (£9.50). I was more shocked that Tom's small coke was $8 (£4). Check out : www.theclinic.sg to see more.


SATURDAY : Another long lie in for me followed by some shopping on Orchard Road. Think Oxford Street. Think 5th Avenue. Think Champs-Elysees : this is a shopaholics heaven! I love it...and can not wait until payday so I can seriously shop til I drop (sorry mum it's got to be done!) Huge malls selling everything you could possibly imagine line the road. I meet Tom and Rach at a shopping centre called Ion. Set over eight levels, four above ground and four below. The retail space here totals 66,000 square metres. That's pretty impressive! An incredible food court with so much choice the hungriest of people would struggle to choose. The evening saw us sat watching the football. So after a few drinks, dinner at a restaurant that an Indian guy Saurabh in work had recommended called Dehli was on the cards. After enough Indian food to feed a small army all three of us commented that we had just eaten "the best Indian ever". 


SUNDAY : The hottest day since I've been here! The sun is beaming down. I head to Chinatown to meet the guys and take a look around The Red Dot Museum. Red Dot stands for belonging to the best in design and business. The museum is full of international design and highlights and promotes the importance of design for business and society. I was truly inspired.




What you can see above was an exhibition solely based on Tupperware! Did you know that there's a Tupperware Party held somewhere in the world every 2.2 seconds! Mad! I spend the evening down on Clarke Quay having a few drinks. Even though it's sunk in that I'm actually here I can't help but think it's all too good to be true still. I'm not sure what's on the cards for next weekend. Have got a lot of boring things to sort out, bank accounts, phone and more importantly somewhere to live. Hopefully by the time I next write I will have news on that front! But I'm sure at some point on the weekend I'll be doing something fun and exciting. I picked up my Employment Pass today which makes everything official in the eyes of the government. Yey!


There's a lot of things I miss this week. And there certainly are a lot of people I miss this week. But, I can honestly say that I've not had one day so far that I've regretted moving here. I can really see myself being happy and I'm really excited about welcoming friends and family to visit once I'm fully settled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment