Tuesday, September 14, 2010

NO BEES...NO HONEY, NO WORK...NO MONEY...

So you don't all think I'm here on a massive holiday I thought I'd better tell a little bit about work! The main reason I chose to come to Singapore afterall. I thought starting a new job in the same country was daunting enough, let alone relocating to a new place, and then starting a new job. I have never felt so anxious! I think it would have helped had I been able to get some sleep the night before I started but after a mammoth 12 hours the night before, I couldn't get any sleep before my first day :( The office is on Amoy Street, near Chinatown. It's easy to get to from where I'm staying, a ten minute cab ride, or a short walk and MRT ride. Or as I discovered during last week, a very long walk! 



Amoy Steet is pretty impressive...long terraces of shophouses flank the street with covered verandahs. Most of them have been renovated as you can see on the right hand side above. It's a bright vibrant street! Sian Chai Kang Temple is at one end which is open-fronted and incense sticks burn all day. Our office is being refurbished as we speak! There is dust everywhere! Now the whole team sits on the ground floor and all meeting rooms are upstairs.

This could not be further from 1HQ! There are only 25 of us altogether including Directors. The three guys who head up the agency Steve (Head of Strategy), Addison (CEO) and Richard (Creative Director) are all from the United Kingdom. I am the only other British full time employee. The rest are locals. My saving grace on my first day goes by the name of Claudio, a freelancer who is here for another two months and is ironically from Newport. A fellow Welshie! It seems we're taking over Singapore as Tom also works with two welsh guys at Design Bridge.

I'm glad in a way that on my first day I was expected to get stuck straight in...and I haven't stopped since! It's refreshing to work on new brands some of which I have never heard of. And today, corporate work for an engineering firm, different, but actually good fun! The locals who work there are really friendly and have been takin gme out every lunchtime to try new (and sometimes very strange) food. Amoy Food Centre at the end of the street has been described as the mother of all food centers. It is huge! Permanent stalls line wide corridors , with fixed stools and chairs, pretty much like a canteen, and absolutely rammed at lunchtime. 

I'd heard rumours that the team like to drink! So last Thursday was my first work night out. Our local is the complete opposite to The Crosses! I've exchanged £2.50 a pint lunchtime drinks for $15 a cocktail evening drinks. It's a wine bar just around the corner, where you can sit outside and chill in immense heat. I was shocked to hear the week before the bar bill had come to $2500 ... that's bout £1250! Thankfully this night didn't turn out as messy and after a few cocktails and a few Jeagers I went to meet Tom and Rach who had just landed. Such a great feeling to have hugs from close friends so far away from home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment