Monday, September 20, 2010

NIGHT SAFARI, FISH PEDICURE AND CHILLI CRAB...

My second week in work flew by and before I knew it Friday had come around again! With no real plans set in stone I kind of just went with the flow. Maybe a little bit too much on Friday night, after finishing work late and going for "one quick drink" with the work guys I ended up getting home at 3am Saturday morning after numerous jagerbombs and quite a few Martini's! 


As you can imagine I wasn't really in the mood to get up and queue for an hour at the bank to open an account...but needs must otherwise I won't get paid! I wasn't the only one suffering, as Tom and Rachel had also spent Friday night out, so we did lunch on Clarke Quay followed by a few hours relaxing (around the pool at Tom and Rachel's hotel) before we headed off to do the Night Safari.


I was disappointed I didn't do this when I last visited, so as you can imagine was like a small child when we arrived at the zoo! Although I'm not the world's greatest (domestic) animal lover, there are a few animals that I do love. Zebras, elephants and koalas especially! But I think I'm in the wrong country for the latter. 



The Night safari opens at 7.30pm and there are a thousand animals representing well over a hundred species - elephants, rhinos, giraffes and leopards, hyenas and otters! You have to take a 45 minute Jurassic Park-style tram ride to be able to see the whole grounds. I loved it! But my highlight had to be the "flying squirrel" that we stood watching and waiting for it to take flight for about 30 minutes! But it did...I would google it if you want to see what one looks like. Weird little creatures!


Two hours later and I was ready for my fish pedicure! 





Tom had already had a fish pedicure the last time he was here, so he sat this one out, but myself Claudio and Rachel got stuck in! In the wild these fish operate as cleaners, removing dead scales from larger river fish. It was such a weird feeling. A little bit like putting your feet into a mass of seaweed, but it's basically really tickly. The fish don't have teeth thank god, I can only imagine how painful it would be if they did. They were basically just hoovering my feet.


What better way to finish off the evening then by feasting on Chilli Crab at the a hawker centre. A dish created in 1950 where mud crabs are stir fried in a semi-thick, sweet and savoury tomato and chilli based sauce. We even got to pick which crab we wanted. So there he was, just chilling in a tank, we picked him and boom, the chef stir fried him. Ten minutes later we were all getting stuck into to what can only be described as the most delicious crab I have ever tasted, even if it is the messiest food I have ever eaten.


Another late night I was looking forward to having a lie in, but Tom and I decided that we were going to get up super early to queue, yes queue, for iPhones. So 8.30am Sunday morning, Tom and I were sat outside the SingTel shop waiting to see if we would be one of the lucky 50 people to get an iPhone! We were! 

The rest of the weekend was chilled and Rachel and I finished it off with a yummy dinner on Clarke Quay with another friend Jill. Hot Stones, a restaurant where you cook you're own steak, chicken or seafood on the table in front of you on Alpine rock heated to 200 degrees. So "Surf n Turf" with a few glasses of red wine and another weekend over. 


This weeks going to be a good one! The Grand Prix hits town on Friday. Tom and Phil are in Kuala Lumpur at the moment, due to arrive here on Thursday so looking forward to seeing them. I think the weekend ahead is going to eventful. I've got tickets for the race on Friday and Saturday so I'm expecting that to be fun! Sending lots of love across the ocean to everyone. Especially Jo, Regan and Lisa who all celebrated birthdays this weekend. Hope you all had fun! Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment