Tuesday, September 07, 2010

SINGAPORE SO FAR...


I'm finally here. Despite questionning several time whether I was doing the right thing! So thank you to everyone who calmed me down and made me realise that I'd be a fool not to get on the plane.

Despite all the sad goodbyes, my final memory from Heathrow airport was baby Immy smiling back at me as I waved goodbye to her and Jane. How could I possibly be sad? I'm starting a new adventure. Although I did cry, I'll admit that, there were plenty of tears in the build up to leaving, and even a few on the plane as I stared out of the window over London. 

12 hours and 45 minutes later I was in Changi Airport waiting for Richard my Creative Director to collect me. I'm staying in a district called Tiong Bahru that was built in the 1930s. It's one of the oldest housing estates in Singapore consisting of about 30 apartment blocks with a total of over 900 units! It's a massive three bedroom apartment and Solan who rents it is a Planner at Ogilvy, so a fellow creative, although I've not really seen her much yet! I've spent tonight in the apartment with Too-ke...the cat! 

So, Saturday, despite being super tired from the flight I was invited out for drinks, so I said "yes" and ended up at The Fullerton Hotel, which overlooks the Singapore River and was formerly the General Post Office...has to be the biggest Post Office I've ever been in!


Two Strawberry Mojitos and $50 dollars (£25) later and we moved onto a bar across the way called Overeasy where I met the guys from Design Bridge who Tom will be working with. Sat outside the bar overlooking the river, The Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay Sands Resort (an amazing piece of architecture) I still couldn't really believe that I had arrived in Singapore. Come 2am I was shattered and as the heavens opened I made my way to catch a cab home! Some 12 hours later I woke up after a good nights sleep to an invite to a seafood dinner on the East Coast! Yes please!

Sunday lunch was substituted for Sambal Sotong (Squid in Red Chilli Sauce) and Swordfish with amazing Sayur (vegetables). Could not be more different to what I was eating the Sunday before back at mum and dad's, lamb roast dinner! I'll miss those for sure, but I'm loving trying all the local food. A stroll along the beach with my flip flops in my hand I have another "I can't really believe I'm here moment!" I wonder how many more of those I'll have over the next few months?!

I won't talk about work today. But two days in and so far so good. Yesterdays lunch was Jin Hua Fried Fish Soup from the food centre around the corner from work. The complete opposite of my usual lunchtime sandwich, but absolutely delicious!

I left tonight and decided to explore Chinatown (literally on the doorstep of the office) There's a night market that I strolled through, taking in all the wonderful smells and sights. Huge lanterns hang high above the street and there were lots of burning candles and incense and laying out food. I wasn't really sure what was going on. But I've just discovered that it is the end of Hungry Ghost Festival today. Sometimes called Yue Lan, the festival is held to appease the souls of the dead released from Purgatory during the thirty days of the seventh lunar month. Chinese street operas are held, which would explain the woman singing last night, and joss sticks, red candles and paper money are burnt.


It's approaching 10.30pm here now and I'm starting to feel tired. The heat seems to be taking it out of me slightly. Although I'm sure it won't be long until I'm fully adjusted. I finished my walk home with another soup dish for dinner. This time Pork Rib and Prawn Noodle Soup. Yummy!

 

So, four days in already and my "lost" feeling is getting less and less by the day. This is it. Reality. I am now living and working in Singapore. I hope everyone is well back home. As you all know I do miss you all, but will try and keep the blog up to date as often as I can so I can fill you all in on what's been going on. Rachel and Tom are due to arrive on Thursday evening and Friday is a Bank Holiday, so I'm sure there will be lots to report after the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment